The Immigrant Women’s Support Service (IWSS) is a specialist domestic violence and sexual assault service that provides direct support to women from non-English speaking background and their children (face to face or over the phone) who have experienced domestic and/or sexual violence.
- Offers one-off or ongoing support (through case management) may include:
- Support to report sexual assault
- Assistance to access the court system for domestic violence orders, family law, criminal matters such as rape and assault; accessing legal advice for immigration and other matters
- Support to access health services, housing, financial assistance
- Facilitated referrals to other services - Assistance to access other services in relation to legal matters, health issues, accommodation and financial assistance and facilitate access to services available to children.
- Crisis support (may include the following)
- Assistance to escape from a situation of domestic violence
- Support in relation to a recent sexual assault or an event that may trigger memories of a past sexual assault
- Help to access supported/crisis accommodation or other housing options
- Urgent legal advice for immigration, family law, criminal matters and domestic violence orders
- Community Education – education sessions to groups
- Specialist knowledge support for service providers
- Information on multicultural resources and services
- Resources and information in community languages
- Service development on working with interpreters, making services culturally appropriate and responsive to diverse community groups
- Engages credentialed interpreters
Available on request and needs to be approved prior to sending referrals.
Financial assistance available on assessment (limited support).